The thyroid gland, located in the throat, secrets hormones that influence development, growth, metabolism, and body temperature. This test screens for thyroid disease by examining your body’s production of the thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid malfunctions can cause many health concerns if the gland produces too much of one or more hormones (hyperthyroidism) or not enough (hypothyroidism).
- Individuals experiencing fatigue, weight gain, decreased attention span, and intolerance to cold could be exhibiting symptoms of an underactive thyroid.
- Individuals feeling of fatigue, weight loss, vomiting, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, or hair loss could be exhibiting symptoms of an overactive thyroid.
- Left untreated, uncontrolled thyroid hormones can cause nerve damage, heart problems, infertility, and sometimes, even death.
- The SmarTest Labs Thyroid Test looks for abnormal levels of thyroid hormone molecules (T4, T3, and Reverse T3) called Thyroid Stimulating Hormones (TSH). TSH testing reveals the levels of T4 Total, Free T3, and Reverse T3.
- The presence of Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies (TPO) indicates that the body is having an abnormal immune response to thyroid proteins.
Free Thyroxine (T4-Free)
Reverse T3 (rT3)
Thyroid peroxidase (TPO)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
Total Thyroxine (T4 Total)